Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Celebrate Rugby League


Blog Entry by
Peter Lang
Marketing Officer
Penrith City Council

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love the sport of rugby league. So imagine how 'chuffed' I was when a few months ago my bosses at Council asked me to devise a marketing campaign which would promote three rugby league tournaments, which were all going to be held in Penrith between September and November.
I felt as giddy as a kid in a candy store - the ideas were making my head spin.
After a painful brainstorming session with my supervisor Paul Page, painful because I actually had to use my brain, we came up with, oh ok, 'I' came up with the title 'Celebrate Rugby League' and a very involved marketing campaign consisting of around 10,000 printed flyers, the world wide web and extensive newspaper advertising.
The first tournament has already come and gone and it's where the photo above comes from. The International Masters of Rugby League Tournament bought some estimated 3,000 visitors into the area over a concentrated eight-day period. Open to players over the age of 35 with some well over 60, I had the pleasure of watching several games being played at Jamison Park in Penrith.
All I can say is the sportsmanship shown on the day was something to see and admire. Older players helping younger players up off the ground after a good tackle. The referee openly acknowledging an exciting try, players encouraging each other after a dropped ball or loose pass went to ground. 'Don't worry mate, we'll get 'em next time' one player said putting his arm around the shoulders of his team mate who was cursing the fact that an opportunity to score had eluded him.
There was plenty of passion on show that day.
It's what rugby league is all about and in this tournament - age definitely did not weary them.
There's still two great tournaments to come, the Rugby League World Cup with two games to be played at CUA Stadium in Penrith and the Defence Forces World Cup, also at CUA Stadium between November 4-17.
If the passion, commitment and spirit of friendship in these games even half matches what I saw at Jamison Park that warm 'Spring' day in September, then as spectators, we're in for two fantastic tournaments!
Who said the rugby league season was over, in downtown Penrith Valley, it's just beginning.

No comments: